This year has flown by. It's weird to think that I'm old enough to have a year of college finished, but it's true. At the same time, I can't wait to be completely done. I have no clue how that will feel. It seems so....grown-up. And while I am okay with being 19 or 20 or even in my mid-twenties, I still don't feel like I should be classified as an adult. But I guess that's officially a couple years away. Right now I can still be a college kid.
It's crazy to think about this time last year. I can hardly remember it. So much has changed since then! I guess I had no idea what to expect at Ozark, and thus, very few expectations. I thought this would be one of the best years of my life, and it was definitely a good year. But it dawned on me that God is forever preparing us for his work.
It doesn't matter how old we are, he always has another ministry in mind for us, and it's better than the last. Sometimes I picture God in heaven, sitting on the edge of his chair, leaning forward and saying excitedly, "This is coming together so cool. This is gonna be awesome. Watch how this falls into place. It's gonna be so great." (theologically speaking, that may not be entirely accurate. But I still see it.) It's funny how we think that we're being prepared for our career and family and that's how we'll serve God, then eventually retire. The thing is, you never retire from God's service. And why would you want to? "Oh hey, God, listen. I'm getting up in the years, and it's been a great run, but I'm gonna need to step down from helping to bring your heavenly kingdom to earth and this whole 'spreading Jesus' shindig. The old body's just not what it used to be. But we're cool?" What? Who would say that? But I thought that. I mean, not in so many words, but the principle stood. I assumed there was one ministry God was preparing me for, and I'd just work there as long as I could. Except that I gave my whole LIFE to God's service, not just my career years. And family can extend beyond that and it is a viable ministry. But that's not all we're limited to. It just blows my mind to think that God can use me in bringing his kingdom to earth, his words to action, whether I am 9, 19, 29, 59, or 99. And he's using each to prepare me for the next! So awesome.
I have kind of stopped trying to guess what God's up to. It never turns out the way I think it will anyway. I was going to try to put together a list of expectations or goals for next year, but I can't begin to imagine it. I'm just going to take it one day at a time, I suppose. I can say that I hope to read this summer. Like, always. I have a list of authors that I want to check out and some for fun books I've been dying to read! I'm a huge nerd, and I'm okay with this. But I can't wait to have time to read! Of course, I'll be lifeguarding at the camp. But who knows what else will spring up? God has a way of putting incredible opportunities in our path when our eyes are open...