Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Last Day of Freedom

Things just never quite turn out to be as I expect them. Sometimes my expectations are too high, sometimes my low. And sometimes my expectations are neither too high nor too low, but just entirely different from reality. I don't think that I'm unique in this, but I do know that if my expectations were always perfectly met, my life would be entirely different and much less of an adventure. And I do love adventures.
Clearly I digress. But with this groundwork laid, it's easy to guess that my spring break wasn't what I expected in a lot of ways:
-help Dad with church/mission trip stuff
YES. I spent almost the entire week filing papers, both for the church and for him. I went through nearly two years of bank statements, financial records, insurance documents, and just about everything else. The church's filing system hadn't been updated since about 2007! It was quite a project. I did some preparation stuff for the Honduras trip, but I was largely focused on secretarial work.
-coffee with a friend I haven't seen in a few years.
Sadly, no.
-hanging out with a guy I graduated high school with.
Yes.
-lots of reading and relaxing and SLEEP!
Eh-I did a little reading (finished one book), it was relatively relaxing, and I got a decent amount of sleep.
-How I Met Your Mother season four MARATHON
Well, I got through disc one. So pathetic, I know.
-JOHN MAYER CONCERT with one of the most amazing people ever!
ABSOLUTELY. It was so good it was just about life-changing. I am addicted to his music to a point where it is greatly unhealthy. But I'm working through it...

All of this stuff was great. Even though I wasn't necessarily doing a lot of "evangelism" work, it was great to get stuff done that would enable my Dad and the Church to focus more on ministry. By getting the paperwork out of the way, I freed a LOT of time. And the week wasn't at all a slow week like I expected, but it wasn't overwhelming either. I felt very productive. Not only did I get to do the things listed above, I also got to:
-Go on a couple of GREAT runs and a couple of okay walks with Jack (he's NOT a good walking dog...)
-Have coffee and catch up with a dear friend from high school.
-Clean and cook! I only enjoyed the cleaning part because I knew that it'd make the mother happier... :)
-Clean the church twice. Not the most fun thing in the world, but it goes back to serving where I can so that others can minister.
-Have a sleepover with a dear friend from school and drive her to/from the airport.
-Have an incredible discussion with some guys at the high school I attended. My first "Bible fight."
-Run errands for my Dad.
-See a great theatre production that made me just so proud of my little underclassmen.
-Brunch with two precious girls, one of whom I hadn't seen since May and is now planning a wedding!
-Shopping with my Mom.

The week turned out to be totally different, and in some ways better, than what I anticipated. I feel like I actually grew during this time, and I keep learning so much about prayer! I read Adventures in Prayer by Catherine Marshall and it was so awesome. The best thing I learned from that was the Prayer of Relinquishment, which I think is the most liberating thing for a Christian! I'm honestly not ready to go back to Ozark in a lot of ways-I feel like there's so much I could do here! In other ways, though, I'm ready to go back and get back into the routine of things. But I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my last night of freedom regardless.