I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
Grandpa
A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to spend a weekend with my family. We gathered together around my grandfather, and we reminisced and laughed and sang and prayed. As we each left, we made a point to say good-bye to Grandpa.
It was an emotional weekend. Walking away from the bed after the last hug was probably the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Tears poured openly and the sobbing didn't slow until I was well on my way back to Joplin. The doctors had discussed with us the situation; they expected him to live a few more weeks. Grandpa didn't want to pursue any treatment, and with each labored breath it was clear how uncomfortable he was. The hospital staff worked hard to alleviate his discomfort, but he was restless to be with Jesus. His death is a celebration of a life of serving Jesus. He has crossed the finish line boldly. He ran the race with perseverance and endurance and grace. I could not be more proud of the man that I get to call Grandpa.
If I had to capture this man in one word - if one word could effectively summarize everything that he poured his 86 years into (which would be a failed endeavor, I realize) - I would choose faithfulness. My Grandpa faithfully pursued Jesus all of his days. It is incredible to hear stories of his life and the faith that he had. In so many situations, I am awed by his tenacity and reliance on Jesus.
Even in these last few months, he has been so faithful to Jesus. He gradually lost the ability to do normal day-to-day tasks but he continued to sing praises to God. Even when his voice became weak and couldn't support his singing, praises were still on his lips.
Grandpa has become for me the picture of praising God in every circumstance. My memories of my grandfather are interlaced with hymns and pictures of ministry. It seems like every meal we ate together ended with him singing. Some songs were simply from his childhood favorites. Most songs were hymns that he treasured. I am so honored and blessed to be a part of the legacy of a man so devoted to glorifying God and serving him faithfully. He spent years preaching and teaching about the Word of God. When his days behind the pulpit ended, he took up a ministry of encouragement and writing. Even two weeks before his death, while he was in the hospital, he took the time to write a final article for the church newsletter - an article that focused not on his limitations and pain, but on the joy of finally seeing Jesus. After a lifetime of faithfulness, I can't imagine a better reward.
My grandfather's faithfulness has inherently placed such a high standard on my own life. Standing beside his bed a few weeks ago, I was struck by the great privilege of being related to a man who had spent so much of his life working for the kingdom. The legacy that he leaves is not one of brokenness and discouragement, but of challenge and faith. I want to conduct myself in a manner that honors his choices and sacrifices, a manner that prioritizes the kingdom and glories God. I want my life to be a legacy of faithfulness and love for my great God.