A moment can change absolutely everything.
Last October Abbey, Anna, and I embarked on a fall-themed adventure. We were at an apple orchard/pumpkin patch. It was a beautiful day and my Mom took us out to the farm and bought us delicious fall themed treats and tickets to a horse-drawn hayride. Mom elected to stay behind, but Abbey and Anna and I climbed into the wagon with a few other adults and a few children. As we started into the woods we chatted with the driver about the horses and their jobs. They were cousins of Clydesdales-big, strong, and good workers. Despite this, they seemed a little skittish and weren't working as a team.
Then they started to pick up their pace. The driver couldn't regain control. We were careening through the woods in a matter of milliseconds. The wagon bumped back and forth across the path, coming close to trees and jumping out of the way at the last second. After a few near misses, we were bound to strike one. Right before my eyes the side of the wagon was torn away. My eyes lost focus as I was thrown into the center of the wagon. A few more bumps, and the wagon moved out from under me. I found myself in a pile of brush on the side of the trail. I slowly sat up. The wagon was in front of me maybe twenty feet, tilted on one side. People were strewn around the path, and the driver stood beside the horses to calm them.
Throughout the rest of that day, I kept having flashbacks of that moment - the moment where everything changed.The wagon went from being complete to being shattered; we went from being normal and healthy to aches and bruises and concussions. As I thought about it later, I thought about how much a moment can change things. Because I was preparing a communion meditation for the next day my mind jumped to the cross.
It only took one moment for sin to enter the world. One moment condemned the entire world to death. But in one moment the world was saved. In one moment, Jesus died. In one moment, he rose from the dead. In those snapshots of powerful moments lie the most insane love story that ever existed. A God loved His people so much that He wrapped Himself in flesh and died for them, then rose from the dead so that we could lie again.