Saturday, February 26, 2011

I think that sometimes I forget that I am supported and shaped by something much more than just my education, my age, even my community. I have been blessed with a group of people that encourages me to pursue growth, provides for me in every conceivable way, and that inspires me to persevere, and I know that I don't thank them enough for all they do for me. That group is my family.
More and more I am convinced of what a blessing and rarity my family is, and I am daily more grateful for them. Please don't hear this as me bragging, but let this be a thank you to them. These people are particularly on my mind because I have recently been reminded, either by their physical presence or a telephone call that they are so integral to my growth:

My grandparents are some of the most Godly people I know. The more I get to know them and see them as people besides just grandparents, the more that I see what loving and compassionate people they are. I have been inspired so much by my grandmother's example as a woman who loves God and serves Him. I hope that if God calls me to be a wife, I can serve my husband as gracefully as she serves her's and support him as well. My grandfather is a wonderful example of a man that lives to glorify God. At eighty plus years old, he is still active in the church as the minister of encouragement, taking his experience with shaky health and using it as a motivation to serve others. I am so proud of his preaching ministry and his example of a life lived in pursuit of God. I take great pleasure in growing into a young woman who brings them joy. I hope that someday I am as open to God's will and timing as they are.
My father is one of my favorite people in the entire world. He lives to glorify God and he is still my hero, even though I am well past the days of being his princess. He still looks for ways to provide for me and to show me that he loves me. He is without a doubt my favorite person to cook for because I know that he appreciates it so much. His dedication to God and his faithfulness to God's calling is such a lesson to me in the way that God works. In so many instances I have seen God's hand in his life, and I love the way that he leads our family.
My mother is also a rare gem. I admire and respect her so very much, more than I think I could ever articulate. She has had such a different life than what I have or will have, and her reliance on God and trust in Him makes me marvel. I love the talks that we can have and the wisdom that she always imparts. She has taught me so much about life and about being a woman who serves God. If I ever have kids, she is the model of the mother I want to be. There was never any doubt in my mind that she loved (loves) us, and that she wants nothing but the best for us - that she would literally do anything for us. I love her vulnerability and even watching God work in her life brings me joy.
One of my greatest desires is to become a woman that makes my parents proud, the woman that they want me to be.
My brother is yet another very influential person in my life. I admire him and respect him more than nearly anyone else. He has such strong leaderships skills and desires so much to serve God, and he is one of my go-to problem solvers. He married a fantastic woman, whom I love very dearly. She has also been a great asset and encouragement, and I love getting to know her better and developing the relationship more.
I have three wonderful sisters that have shaped so much of who I am that it would take hours to elaborate. Lately, I have been especially encouraged by Tina and Anna.
Tina is one of the people I victimize most with my verbal processing. She has such a different perspective on things and is so much less impulsive and dumb than I. I really appreciate the insight that she gives me and that she lets me talk so much. She has pushed me in my growth towards God so much, especially in my time since Ozark. Being at school together has brought a unique opportunity to see each other in a new light and watching her pursue God and figure out what he's calling her to has been marvelous. I love the long drives that we get to take together to visit family because they are always a catalyst for great conversation. I am grateful for the ways that she has invested in me.
My younger sister is the sweetest fourteen year old ever. I appreciate so much how our relationship is growing as she grows up, and I am especially grateful for how open we can be with each other. I very much look forward to going to Honduras with her in just over two weeks. She has a heart for people and watching her develop her God-given passions is such a joy to me.

There are many fabulous people that I have failed to mention. Even if I had all the time in the world, I doubt I could do justice to all the people who continually pour into me or even all of the family that I am beyond grateful for.