Saturday, January 29, 2011

Washington University.

Sometimes it is nice to be a little pretentious. Even better, though, is to be around a person who appreciates that side of me. This weekend has been so incredible so far. I've missed Katie so much, and I love seeing what her life is like on a daily basis. It is something so special to be able to walk in someone else's shoes. It lends invaluable new insight into their reactions, their personality, their future even. And that, in a nutshell, has been what is so special about this weekend (aside from the Katie herself!).
To give some background, Katie and I have been friends for about five years now. We met in Antique Photo, summer 2006. In the long, boring days of Antique we forged a friendship that extended beyond our first job. We've experienced so much together, and it is hard to describe our friendship without getting a little sentimental. Suffice to say, I feel like Katie understands me better than even most of my friends. We love to laugh together, have the same sense of humor, have very similar personalities, and share a bond deeper than all of those - we LOVE the TV show 'How I Met Your Mother.'
This weekend has brought an opportunity for me to visit Katie at Washington University. I hitched a ride from Joplin with a girl in my dorm, which was fantastic. It was a great four and half hours of wonderful conversation and laughter. We arrived at WashU around dinnertime, and it was so great to see Katie's apartment. Cute! After a short nap, Katie took me to a wonderful on-campus restaurant called ibby's. It is definitely a nicer place on campus, complete with fine dining options. After a very filling dinner (I had chicken and gnocchi, and Katie had steak, we shared chocolate mousse for dessert. Mmmm.) we explored the campus. It is a beautiful campus, filled with traditional architecture and practically radiating history and tradition. It was a beautiful night for a walk, and the campus was still covered by snow. Beautiful. After a tour that made me a little jealous for Ozark, we returned to Katie's apartment and start on homework. Something about being in the same room made Friday night homework less miserable. Finally I could keep my eyes open no longer, and thus Saturday morning was ushered in.
We slept in - it was glorious - and caught breakfast at the dining hall. Delicious omlettes filled us up, and we set off for Forest Park. Forest Park is so beautiful, especially with snow on the ground. The snow was fast melting, but we caught some really amazing pictures. We trekked up to the art gallery, and the view was stunning. The museum sits on a hill that looks down upon this beautiful lake with decorative white walkways and bridges. After taking some pictures, we entered the museum and saw several exhibits - European, American, Asian, Egyptian (mummies! it was super cool), and several ancient cultures. It was wonderful, especially because that is a part of my passions that is so rarely fed. Examining the paintings, searching for meaning, recognizing artists - it was all so fantastic. We went from the gallery to the mall, in order to find a suit for Katie. It proved more difficult than anticipated, and while she tried on option after option, I tried on prom dresses! It was so fun, and it helped both of us relax some, I think. Especially because we finally settled on an option. We took the metro back to campus in time to nap before dinner at ibby's again (you'd be exhausted too). We dressed up for dinner, and enjoyed a dinner of a butternut squash ravioli and a delicious hamburger, followed again by chocolate mousse. Mmmmm. A rather chilly walk brought us back to the apartment for homework, Celebrity Rehab, and HGTV. And of course, playing with Katie's hamsters. Fabulous Saturday. I feel like tomorrow will be filled with homework, but that may be alright given the amount of walking today required. It'll be good to just chill.
I am so excited to be here with Katie. It's always awesome to be with someone with whom you are completely comfortable and have no reservations. I had so much that I had to talk through with her, and I value her opinion and listening so much! I love getting to know this side of her, and I'm honestly excited to be able to go to a class with her Monday morning!