Sunday, August 8, 2010

Summer 2010

"There are mountains to be climbed, molehills to be laughed at, and milestones to be achieved. It’s vitally important to write down achievements, failures, and hilarious memories which mold us into the people who use our past as reference points for the future."
That's the beginning of Bianca Juarez's latest blog entry. As I read the post which outlined a mountain, molehill, and milestone in her life, I realized that I rarely take the time to outline those in my life. While not everything that might qualify for one of those categories can't be mentioned in this blog post, I think that August brings with it a good time for reflecting over the summer.

Mountain:

Lifeguarding - I was so worried and stressed about the class, and even more so about the actual job, but at the close of the summer the score was Tasha: 2.5 (one kid just needed an assist) vs. the bottom of the pool: 0. There were definitely some scary times - times when the water was cloudy or it was dark or there was the possibility of a storm - but overall it was very rewarding and completely worth the time and effort I put in. Duonna seemed pretty happy with the investment as well.

Molehill:

There were several molehills this summer. One was a particular email that got sent when it should've been forgotten. Another was a family matter that ruined a good surprise. While molehills have always been the best teacher, my philosophy remains that the lessons should be remembered and the specifics forgotten.


Milestone:

Definitely my two mile run in July. Twenty minutes. It felt amazing. I wish I could do it again - and I will! As soon as I can run on this ankle without putting it in danger of greater injury, I plan to push myself. I want to run a 5k this year, and hopefully be training for a half-marathon at this time next year. I want to lose some weight, gain some muscle, and mostly just be healthy. I'll post more specific goals later, but that gives you just a glimpse of my fitness dreams for the coming year!