One of the greatest responsibilities and privileges I have is to oversee the tutoring program at a local ministry. It's small - about ten students - but God is moving. I have been involved with this ministry for the length of my college career but just recently it was thrown into my lap. I went from being a volunteer to being a director of sorts, and the transition has been more or less overwhelming. In the past five months, however, I have seen some great opportunities arise.
I've watched the program grow from the ground up. None of the students that I tutored in the past years is involved anymore; its all new students and new tutors. The classrooms have changed as well - not in their physical location, but in the room layout and purposes. Last semester was all about these transitions.
But this semester? This semester promises great things. God is already working in such obvious ways. I have been able to meet with people and establish curriculum that will astronomically benefit most of these students. I have been able to establish connections between the ministry and the school - connections that enable the ministry to access academic records. I have watched relationships grow, and I've had the opportunity to sit down with these college aged tutors and ask them to intentionally insert themselves as role models and helpers in the students' lives.
But it honestly is not about what I've done. All I do is lay groundwork. I establish the system so that the volunteers can work. I watch them pour into these students and get little in return, especially in the way of gratitude. I watch them sacrifice precious time to pour into these little ones that are so near and dear to the Father's heart, and I am humbled that I get to be a part of it.
I am far from the leader that I should be, but by the grace of God things are happening. I've been purposely vague in discussing this ministry because of the delicate matter of the subject - my first priority is to protect the kids. But God is moving in mighty ways, and I find myself daily experiencing this. Lately, its been most tangible in the attacks I find the devil attempting. But I see it in the conversations I have with parents, in the interactions I have with the kids, and I see it in the commitment and passion of my volunteers. And the real point of what this is, the real reason that nothing that I do truly matters is because it is all for the sake of the glory and honor and power of God. If I lose everything, pursuing that end I still will have won.